Home Forums Vintage Motor Bike Forum Off Topic Looking for a title Reply To: Looking for a title

Doodle Bugger
Participant
#1635 |

Ok…insurance.

Yes, I did go through the State of Vermont process personally as I mentioned it above. It is legal IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES, LAWS AND PROCEDURES THAT THEY OUTLINE. THE POINT IS NOT TO CHEAT…DO NOT BE DISHONEST OR FLAT OUT LIE ON ANY OF THE FORMS OR DISCLOSURES!

I did get insurance in my home state (which is not Vermont). It was collector “motorcycle” insurance. They asked no questions and did not care at all about the vehicle being registered out-of-state. You do not have to demonstrate any sort of proof of insurance to the State of Vermont to receive a registration, but you are supposed to have insurance, so again…PLAY BY THE RULES! After a few months, my home state did mail me a letter through the DPS asking about why I had insurance in my home state for a vehicle registered elsewhere. They sent me a form to fill out to explain it. I filled it out honestly (again, be honest – don’t fake this stuff) and received a reply several weeks later that said basically “ok, thanks for letting us know what the story is.” You do need to have insurance, but it does have to be issued to someone in Vermont…again, so long as you play by the rules, and get insurance properly, you’ll be ok.

So, as I said, I followed the procedure to a “t” and to the absolute letter of the law. I completed all forms truthfully and answered any questions completely and honestly. No problems for me. Vermont even mails me my registration notice every year. Thus, it CAN BE a completely legal way to legalize and register early never-titled machines and barn finds.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Doodle Bugger.