Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1550 |

I have a gentleman that bought a 55 eagle from Georgia and brought it to Ohio. Unfortunately he bought it without a title. He wants to relive his glory days and cannot register this scooter without a title. He has went to the title office to see what he can do and they want it to abide by the new motorcycle laws with turn signals, speedometer, emissions and so on. We have all learned the hard way, but this gent doesn’t have the time. He just would like to experience the scooter as he did many years ago before he runs out of time. If anyone can help this guy email me and I will put you in touch with him. dchafin1122@gamil.com

• Kevin
      Participant
      #1576 |

I need one too. They are hard to come by. I restored a 1954 springer eagle and applied for a title. I had to have the police check and send in pictures and reciepts and then was told I could get an off road title for it but not register it because it was not “road worthy”.

• Doodle Bugger
      Participant
      #1580 |

Look into registering it in the state of Vermont. Yes, seriously.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t live in Vermont, haven’t ever lived in Vermont, and won’t ever live in Vermont. They do not issue titles, but you can register the bike in Vermont and they’ll send you license plates and everything that you need to be legal. You just won’t necessarily be operating the machine in the state of Vermont which is ok. Once the machine is registered and plated, it is legal in all 50 states.

At that point you have two choices:

1. You can keep in registered in Vermont forever and simply pay the annual fee to renew the registration (again, regardless of where you live)

OR

2. You can take your Vermont registration to your home state and explain to them that the machine is registered in Vermont and you’d like to transfer it to your state. When they ask why you don’t have a title, you’ll be able to show them that Vermont is a “no title” state at which point they’ll either transfer your registration or draft a title in your home state or they’ll tell you “sorry” and you’ve really lost nothing because you can keep the bike registered in Vermont as is.

Yes, this is legal. I have done this myself with a Vespa that never ever had a title (and was sold new in Italy, not in the US). Many, many people in the Vespa & Lambretta community register their machines in Vermont due to lack of titles. It seems they are happy to register the machines in return for collecting your annual fee.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE “TITLE SERVICES” LIKE BROADWAY (just google them to see why). They are slow, expensive, and risky. Plus now many states are cracking down on no-title bikes that have been run through Broadway. Avoid. Most states have a provision for legally getting a title (some easier than others) but the Vermont angle is a sure-fire deal. Check it out!

• Kevin
      Participant
      #1590 |

How does that work with insurance? Also how can I have a Vermont tag/registeration with an Indiana address on it? Sounds confusing but I would be willing to try.

• pd
      Participant
      #1591 |

Very interesting .

Kevin asks a good question .

More info is needed , Please .

Pete . ๐Ÿ™‚

• pd
      Participant
      #1592 |

A little research turned this up :

Be sure to read page 3 . The last sentence deals with insurance .

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf

Pete . ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kevin
      Participant
      #1598 |

Looks like it says to have insurance pursuant to Vermont law. I think that could create a loophole for insurance to not pay a claim. That would be taking a huge risk. I know in Indiana if you move you have 30 days to change you address on your license. I dont know if a police officer or judge would buy a story that I have Vermont tags because it is to difficult to get an Indiana title.

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1603 |

Hummm, Very interesting. I don’t know that I would want to continue to hold the license in Vermont, but once I got the registration I sure would give it a go to register it in Ohio.

• Kevin
      Participant
      #1612 |

Lets hear from some that have done this. If anyone knows someone who has done this please ask them to tell us their experience on here. Im sure their are many of us who would benifit from this.

• pd
        Participant
        #1614 |

Kevin wrote :

Lets hear from some that have done this. If anyone knows someone who has done this please ask them to tell us their experience on here. Im sure their are many of us who would benifit from this.

Doodle Bugger wrote :

Yes, this is legal. I have done this myself with a Vespa that never ever had a title (and was sold new in Italy, not in the US). Many, many people in the Vespa & Lambretta community register their machines in Vermont due to lack of titles. It seems they are happy to register the machines in return for collecting your annual fee.

Pete . ๐Ÿ™‚

• pd
      Participant
      #1613 |

This :

“In Vermont it is illegal for a vehicle to be operated if it isn’t covered by a minimum amount of liability insurance. The minimum amount of liability insurance required is set by Vermont Statute (V.S.A., Title 23, Chapter 11, ยง800)”

Vermont Auto Insurance Laws & Regulations by NOLO

Vermont’s minimum required insurance coverage consists of:

$25,000 per person for bodily injuries,
      $50,000 per accident, if more than one person is injured,
      $10,000 per accident for property damage.
      Vermont allows some drivers to avoid this requirement by filing a $115,000 surety bond with the state’s Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. The surety bond provides coverage in case of an accident.

http://www.all-about-car-accidents.com/resources/insurance-law/car-insurance/vermont-auto-insurance-

Maybe those^ will answer some questions .

Pete . ๐Ÿ™‚

• Doodle Bugger
      Participant
      #1635 |

Ok…insurance.

Yes, I did go through the State of Vermont process personally as I mentioned it above. It is legal IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES, LAWS AND PROCEDURES THAT THEY OUTLINE. THE POINT IS NOT TO CHEAT…DO NOT BE DISHONEST OR FLAT OUT LIE ON ANY OF THE FORMS OR DISCLOSURES!

I did get insurance in my home state (which is not Vermont). It was collector “motorcycle” insurance. They asked no questions and did not care at all about the vehicle being registered out-of-state. You do not have to demonstrate any sort of proof of insurance to the State of Vermont to receive a registration, but you are supposed to have insurance, so again…PLAY BY THE RULES! After a few months, my home state did mail me a letter through the DPS asking about why I had insurance in my home state for a vehicle registered elsewhere. They sent me a form to fill out to explain it. I filled it out honestly (again, be honest – don’t fake this stuff) and received a reply several weeks later that said basically “ok, thanks for letting us know what the story is.” You do need to have insurance, but it does have to be issued to someone in Vermont…again, so long as you play by the rules, and get insurance properly, you’ll be ok.

So, as I said, I followed the procedure to a “t” and to the absolute letter of the law. I completed all forms truthfully and answered any questions completely and honestly. No problems for me. Vermont even mails me my registration notice every year. Thus, it CAN BE a completely legal way to legalize and register early never-titled machines and barn finds.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Doodle Bugger.
Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.