Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1444 |

I just got a call today from a VMBC member. It isn’t one that I haven’t herd before. Too many people are getting to the meet to early, setting up taking more room than they need, roping off for friends, and bringing stuff to sell that is in no way related to the VMBC meet. He said it’s getting to be more of a flea market than anything. The board has visited this subject so many times I couldn’t even count them with my fingers, and that’s pretty much what I told him. The board has just simply no answers or solutions to these issues. If we thought of a solution we didn’t have enough help to implement it, or couldn’t do it because the majority of the board didn’t feel it was worth the work.

I personally feel that the meet is doing very well. More things seem to fall into place compared to before when I just took the presidency. But of course I was worried about everything and also didn’t know what I was getting into. I had no idea what I was to do! Anyway, I like the idea of the meet being very diverse. You never know what will show up. I have also heard feedback from other members that feel the same way. I’m sure the women like to see other stuff for purchase besides scooter and vintage motorbike stuff. I believe that is what makes our meet more of a family event, and so appealing compared to other comparable bike meets.

The problem with getting their early and roping off areas for their friends is just an issue that will never be resolved unless we sell confined spaces marked off with painted lines. And then another issue comes forward. Who is going to mark off the spaces? Who is going to show up at the fairgrounds to divide up the spaces in time for the meet to start? We don’t have the manpower or time among our board members to do such an immense task. Unfortunately, we are loosing board members at a fast rate. Just within the last year we have lost 6 either to death or burn out with no one to replace them.

If you live within a reasonable distance that you could offer some advice or help our meet (your meet)… please let me know! Maybe you don’t even wish to be acknowledged as being on the board but just want to help for a small period of a couple of hours. There is plenty to do that doesn’t require much time. Whatever you think you could do, please talk with me and maybe I could place you.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• pd
      Participant
      #1451 |

Darren ,

If I were closer (I’m currently about 900 miles South ) , I’d see if I could help you out .

Pete . 🙂

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1453 |

Yeah that’s a bit of a haul.

• Doodle Bugger
      Participant
      #1454 |

There a lot of issues that you brought up:

-Arriving early
      -Reserving space / spreading out
      -Flea Market / Unrelated items for sale
      -Board vacancies

Going through these one by one, I’ll start with arriving early. This is a tough one and is an issue I have read about in the club magazine for years. As long as the fairgrounds are open and willing to accept campers, there is absolutely ZERO that the VMBC can do if VBMC members show up before the club takes possession of the grounds and the meet officially starts. The only way to stop early arrivals would be if the perimeter were completely secured and there was no camping allowed during, for example, the entire week leading up to the meet. That just isn’t going to happen. This isn’t just a VMBC issue…all clubs with big meets have the early birds that show up early, do trading amongst themselves, and are ready to pack up and hit the road just as the meet officially starts. I wish there was really a way to deal with it, but there just isn’t short of shutting the place down and allowing nobody in prior to the official VMBC dates (again – it ain’t gonna happen).

Taking too much space and holding space for other people is something that could be controlled, but like you said, you’d have to map it all out and assign spaces. I see this turning into nothing but a giant headache for the administration and think you’ll probably do little more than upset people. First come, first served seems to still be the most reasonable way to deal with camping locations. Folks should be reasonable about the amount of space they take and what they try to save for others, but the fact of the matter is that camping there is a free-for-all and folks are going to do what they want to do unless there is a massive crackdown with huge amounts of manpower. My opinion is that the best use of time and energy would be to let this go.

Flea market type items at “special interest” events (like the VMBC meet) irritate me, personally. If I go to a motorcycle meet or antique car meet, I don’t want to have half of the swap meet spaces full of crafts, cheap sunglasses, or miracle cleaning products, yet I see all of those things almost everywhere I go. Frankly, it’s been a few years since I’ve been able to be at the VMBC meet, but I don’t recall it being that bad. This is something else extremely difficult to control without being really hardcore about it and using a lot of manpower. Some of the “better” events I attend kick people out with unrelated items and ban them from coming back in the future – but that takes a lot of time and effort and you can’t be afraid of making people angry. Probably not something the VMBC really wants to get into.

The situation with the lack of board members, your desire to step down as President, and the Editor opening is all information that needs to be put in the club magazine along with what the requirements REALLY are and what the job REALLY entails. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, someone would just about have to be local to the Portland area so as to be able to meet in person and always attend the meet. If there are official roles for those of us that live a little further away (1,000 miles in my case), that is something I would be interested in, but I obviously cannot participate in regular meetings in person that are taking place 1,000 miles from home. Even the editor job…can that be done remotely? Has anyone ever thought about having board members from long distances participate in meetings via conference call or over the internet somehow? Is attending the meet absolutely critical? There are probably a lot of folks out there that are like me…they are interested, passionate about motorbikes/scooters, but live a long ways from Portland and question how they would be able to participate. “The club” really needs to find a way to tap these folks as they are probably the ones that will ensure the future of the club.

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1455 |

Arriving early, yeah we have brain stormed for years how to deal with it, and we are still always revisiting the issue. Our meet following immediately after the Jay County fair has helped prevent (the two weeks before the meet starts people) people from arriving soooo early. It’s really been working in our favor to hold the meet after the fair. That’s about all we can do in my opinion.

As for the flea market stuff, we can’t afford to tackle this issue right now as you stated. It would just be so very labor intensive, and we can’t afford that right now. Besides I really don’t think it is a huge issue.

We have advertised for help with the magazine several times before. It hasn’t taken up a half page before like we will be posting in the next issue, but I feel very few members actually read the magazine. Believe me, it will be made clear at the meet this year that we need an editor!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.