Viewing 6 reply threads
    • pd
      Participant
      #1360 |

So there’s something in this section , I’ll show off my 1984 Suzuki FA50 .
      Like the caption says , it’s not exactly a scooter , but it’s probably close enough for the girls we go with . 😉

This is how I found it about 5 years ago :

( this pic portrays the bike in much better condition than it really was )
       photo 100_0553.jpg

And here it is a couple months and a full reconditioning later :

photo HPIM1350.jpg

It doesn’t look that much different , but it sure smelled a lot better , not to mention that it now runs as good as the day it left the showroom .

Pete . 🙂

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by pd.
    • Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1371 |

I have two of these. It’s hard to beat them for just putting around the grounds looking for more treasures.

• pd
      Participant
      #1373 |

For sure , Darren .

I’ve found mine to be as dependable as daylight at sun rise .

Pete . 🙂

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1557 |

I have this problem every year with this particular scooter though, the two cycle oil tends to slowly leak down into the cylinder. Apparently I forgot to drain it this last year and it all ended up in the cylinder. A few years ago when I first got one of these I left it in storage full of two cycle oil and not only did it fill the cylinder, but the exhaust also. The only way to clean it out was remove the spark plug and kick it over. Be prepared for a huge mess. The oil will squirt out several feet in front of the machine.

• pd
      Participant
      #1587 |

That would be a problem , Darren .

Fortunately , my bike does not do that . The oil is not suppose to leak past the pump . How much oil does the motor go through ?

Maybe you need a new pump ?

PUMP, OIL
      16100-02330
      $87.49

http://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3eb15f8700230d8b4aebb/oil-pump

A less expensive option might be to install an in-line shut off valve ( $2.47 ):

null

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motocross-Motorcycle-ATV-Modified-Shut-Off-Fuel-Valve-Petcock-Oil-Tank-Switch-/291273072237?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d13a5e6d&vxp=mtr

Pete . 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by pd.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by pd.
    • Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1600 |

I don’t know how much oil the motor uses because I really only use the scooter once a year at Portland. 🙂 LOL But it doesn’t seem to use an excessive amount. It does smoke and I see that as a good thing rather than if it didn’t smoke, which would mean it isn’t getting any oil. I did think about installing a shut off valve, but what if I forgot to turn it on? Yeah I think I’ll just deal with the trouble of draining the oil reservoir.

• pd
      Participant
      #1610 |

Do you turn the fuel petcock off ? Maybe you don’t as the FA50 has an automatic fuel valve . But , IF you do , maybe place the oil petcock next to or very close to the fuel petcock ?

Pete . 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.