Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1257 |

I want one of everything. And then I want one of everything for others. This is what I want first though.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Darren Chafin.
    • Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1274 |

We can now post pictures guys unlike the last lame forum. If you look at the picture in the previous photo you will see me on a simplex sportsman when I was about 11 or so. The others in the picture are my cousins and sister and a few friends. the three mini-bikes were all min at one time or another. I still have my first on which is the blue one with the blonde girl on it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Darren Chafin.
      • kartjockey
        Participant
        #1337 |

I love the kids photo. “little rascals” remake! Kind of jealous of the one on the far right!!!

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1338 |

The one on the far right is my cousin Heather. My sister, Alisha (center dark hair) next to my other cousin Jennifer (the blonde) would always run away from Heather so they wouldn’t have to play with her. They were so bad!

• kartjockey
        Participant
        #1342 |

but who was lucky enough to be sitting on the Simplex minibike? (far right)

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1343 |

That was me on the Simplex. My dad unfortunately sold it when I was about 14 or 15. I have missed it for some time and I have looked for another one to replace it for several years. I just happen to find one last year at Portland for sale and I didn’t waist any time buying it because it was so complete and unrestored. It was exactly just what I was looking for. It’s in really good condition with very little work needed to get it back to running condition. It’s only missing a chain guard and a taillight assembly. I hope to have it with me next year at Portland. My only dilemma is deciding whether to restore it to the condition of the way it was when I was a kid, or restore it to show condition as it was when it was new.

• pd
      Participant
      #1345 |

My only dilemma is deciding whether to restore it to the condition of the way it was when I was a kid, or restore it to show condition as it was when it was new.

I see it as answering a simple question , Darren .

Do you want to ride it like you did back then or just look at it and remember what you think it was like riding it …

That’s what I asked myself when it came time to get my Simplex back to more than a tarp support .
      I didn’t have to think about it very long . I brought it back to be a rider . I wanted the real feeling I had when I was 14 and , there’s enough museum pieces around .

Pete . 🙂

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1372 |

Yes it would be an easy fix for me to paint it all to an original color since I do painting for a career. I just don’t get that much free time to do it though should I want to change it to an original color. I do want to ride it. maybe even let my son and daughter ride it once in a while.

• pd
      Participant
      #1374 |

All things in moderation . That includes work .

But , I know what you mean . I’ve been there , too .

Being as you have so little time to ‘play’ , I’d stick a chain guard and tail light on it , make it safe , get it running reliably and be done with it . Ride it as much as you feel like and don’t say no to the kids when they want to ride it . Who knows , maybe it’ll help raise their interest level . 😉

My 2 cents with a 50% discount .

Pete . 🙂

• Darren Chafin
      Participant
      #1375 |

Right now at the moment, Terry Hawk has the motor. I surrendered it to him during Portland. He has the needed parts to overhaul it. To my surprise the Pony Cycle used the same motor which is the continental. That’s why he had the parts to refurbish it. It had the original continental engine on it. I’ll have to take some pictures of the Simplex and post them.

• pd
      Participant
      #1376 |

Yes . Pics , please .
      And , that’s interesting about the continental motors .

Pete . 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.